Favourite Film | The Prestige
Favourite directors | Christopher Nolan and Tim Burton

Friday, 8 January 2010

Visiting The Site

I didn't know a lot about the museum before I went, I didn't want to create an impression in my head before I arrived. When walking to the site I wasn't too sure of my bearings and the weather was dull and wet. We stopped at en entrance to what looked like private estate, but infact the Museum was located there. A beautiful, unexpected building appeared surrounded by new flat developments and what looked like wasted land.

The Cinema Museum was an overwhelming, but inspiring experience. An unknown expectation turned into an incredible surprise. At first there was an odd atmosphere, but this soon changed when the history was told and understanding how much the collection meant to the people, that in itself was moving. The space is not being used to its advantage at present. The size of the collection is so vast; it would be impossible to display everything. A careful selection process would need to be done for displaying the items. The rooms are all quite small and chaotically organised. It is clear that space is an issue. The main structure of the rooms is organised around a spacious ‘T’ corridor on the ground floor and a smaller spacious corridor on the first floor. They are momentarily used for display purposes and even storing valuable items.

The experience in itself was mind-blowing so much information on anything one could possibly imagine. Sense of time can easily be lost in this museum. From the visit, I had no clue as to how long I had been there. I arrived when it was light and left when it was dark, similar to the experience one has at a cinema. There are no obvious windows, but the yellow artificial lighting creates an aged atmosphere, which compliments the old memorabilia. The building has so much potential, its beautiful exterior should be complimented with the interior but at present the interior is more of a shock to what one might expect from the buildings facade.


No comments:

Post a Comment