Favourite directors | Christopher Nolan and Tim Burton
Tuesday, 12 January 2010
Creating a film to show chaos into order with the history of the cinema. I sketched ideas about props to use and what influences, such as the auditorium forms and the reels from the cinema museum.
Both directors have similarities in their work, films with intelligent storylines which can play with your mind. I really like the suspense and thrill created from their films. Nolan's work can be quite dark, as can Burtons but in different ways. Nolan's storyline are more serious with high visual complexity (he was heavily influenced by Blade Runner as a child). Burtons work are more about the fantasy, heavily influenced by his childhood.
I like how both directors create a really strong atmosphere in their films. Nolan uses slow camera movements adding to the drama and manages to set the scenes quite effectively for the viewer to understand its context. Burton plays with the lighting in his work expressing a more magical feel.
Although Nolan's film are told in a serious way, the atmosphere created is powering, the storylines are strong and there is always drama and suspense. His short film Doodlebug is filmed very slowly and keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat to find there is a twist to the end of the film. My favorite film is the Prestige, as i have explained earlier in the blog.
I admire Burton's use of stop frame for a film, the images are very smooth and his characters are very effective when compared to computer graphics. I prefer the use of models and sets which he used in the Nightmare Before Christmas, this was more effective than Corpse Bride which was computer generated. Corpse bride is too clean and the challenge of making a figure do something is less interesting to watch. I like how his films have a sense of surrealism to them, in particular Edward Scissorhands. The scary thought of suburbia being very monotonous, the serialism adds a twist and excitement to the films.
No comments:
Post a Comment