Favourite Film | The Prestige
Favourite directors | Christopher Nolan and Tim Burton

Monday, 29 March 2010

Analysing the leader experiments around the room

I have been experimenting with feeding the film leader around the studio instead of using a ‘lazy loop’ like usual or reels. Initially I drew to see how the leader could be arranged in relation to the projector and the walls of a room. I have experimented in the studio. I bought some curved nails to put into the wall to feed the leader through and allow the leader to change direction. From my first experiment I found many interesting observations:

  • The leader is very easy to thread into different positions as it is thin and can curve around obstacles.
  • When the projector is turned on there needs to be as little friction as possible between the leader and the obstacle it is running over, for example passing through the curved nail worked well when the plain of the leader was flat, but not when the leader had to be twisted.
  • I found that the looser the leader is when looped around the studio the better it runs, the tighter the leader, the slower it seems t pass through the projector therefore resulting in getting caught and falling off the spikes.
  • The leader was tearing quite often after it had been passing around a while, which I think is a result of the speed at which the leader is moving and the tension between the film and the fixing causing it to tear. It can be mended, but is a nuisance as when it snaps it can fall out of the fixings and has to be threaded over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment